Planning and regeneration Building work you have started, or finished without getting approval

Apply for regularisation

If you started work without getting building regulation approval you must apply for 'regularisation' - we'll check whether it meets the building regulation standards and we can give approval.

You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if building regulations are not met. If we're satisfied that the work meets building regulations, we'll issue a regularisation certificate. You cannot get retrospective approval for any work completed before 12 November 1985.

If you do not tell us about work that has started, or has been completed, without building regulation approval, you could be fined and you will not have the certificates of compliance you may need when you want to sell your home.

Find out about out how much you will be charged first.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.