Depending on the work you're doing you might need to get planning permission or building regulation approval, or both.
If you go ahead without permission or approval, you might end up having to put things back to how they were.
Building regulation approval
You need building regulation approval to check the work you're doing reaches certain safety and energy efficiency standards.
You probably need building regulation approval for:
- a new building
- an extension (read our guide to extending your home)
- a loft-conversion
- alterations to the structure of the building
- home improvements like a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electric, windows, doors, and roofing
Check if your work needs building regulation approval on the Local Authority Building Control website.
You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:
- build something new
- make a major change, like building an extension
- change the use of your building
We also have specific rules for Manchester that might affect whether you need planning permission. To be sure, contact us to check if you need planning permission.