Business and investment Business rates relief and exemptions

Improvement Relief

Improvement relief runs from 1 April 2024 and can apply to works completed by 31 March 2028.

If you make certain improvements to your property, you may get relief from higher business rates bills for 12 months from when the improvement works are completed.

You do not need to apply for Improvement Relief

We will apply the relief to your bill if you have qualifying improvement works and you meet the occupation condition.

  • If you have qualifying works, the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) will send you a certificate and tell us (the Council).
  • If we are satisfied that you have occupied the property during and after the improvement works, we will apply the relief and send you a revised bill.

If you have questions about a certificate of qualifying works you should contact the VOA at the email address on your certificate. There is no right of appeal against the certified values.

Contact us if you have queries about your bill or the occupation condition, or find out more about Improvement Relief on GOV.UK

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.