Manchester City Council

Business & investment Paying your Business Rates

Who pays business rates?

If you own or rent a non-domestic property in the city and want to check who should pay the business rates, contact us. Generally these will apply:

Occupied properties

In most cases the person who has the right to occupy the property will pay the business rates. 

Unoccupied properties

A 100 per cent business rate charge applies to most properties that have been empty for three months or more, or six months or more in the case of industrial and warehouse property. There are certain exemptions for some types of empty property.

About empty property and business rates

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?