Business and investment Food business regulations

Setting up a food business

When setting up a food business you should refer to the Food Standards Agency for all relevant advice, booklets, and leaflets.

There are 2 different types of licences:

  • Premise registration - to store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with us. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans, food delivery vans and businesses run from home.
  • Premise approval - to operate a business that manufactures or processes meat, meat products including minced meat, fish or fishery products including shellfish, milk, dairy products and collagen must be approved by us.

You will need to have a documented food safety management system in place. While you can write your own system, a simple documented system has been devised called Safer food, better business.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.