We want to hear from people who live, work or travel in Levenshulme about our proposals to create a crossing on the A6 Stockport Road at its junction with Mayford Road and Belvoir Avenue.
This is in addition to the current Levenshulme and Burnage Active Neighbourhood Scheme and has been suggested as an addition to the scheme by Transport for Greater Manchester as it helps to link walking and cycling routes in the area.
The crossing proposed is a ‘sparrow’ type crossing where pedestrians and cycles can cross parallel to each other and have their own signals. The crossing would link Mayfield Road to Belvoir Avenue and make crossing the A6 in this area much safer. The proposal also includes installing a filter at the junction of Belvoir Avenue with Stockport Road (A6). This is for safety reasons, and because the crossing could not function if traffic was entering and exiting Belvoir Avenue – all business and residential properties would still have access but may need to take a slightly longer route.
The crossing at the junction would replace the one further north on Stockport Road, which would be removed.
In order to install the crossing, we will need to move the existing bus stops to new locations nearby. While we are doing this, we are increasing the length of the area where buses can wait to collect passengers separate from main traffic, as we know that queueing buses sometimes caused delays for other road users while they waited to collect passengers. Transport for Greater Manchester’s bus team have told us that they think the changes will improve bus operations as more than one bus can be accommodated at the larger bus stop areas.
The changes proposed are:
- Bus stop north of Belvoir Avenue to be extended
- Proposed parking bay to be installed north of Mayford Road
- Existing bus stop north of Mayford Road to be relocated south of Mayford Road, in place of an existing parking bay
- Proposed new signal-controlled sparrow crossing, consisting of separate crossing points for pedestrians and cyclists –
- Proposed new footway buildouts
- Proposed rain garden south of crossing
- Proposed new filter to be installed on Belvoir Avenue opposite the cyclist crossing point.
We are keen to know what nearby residents and businesses think about the proposals and would like to hear from you. A map showing the changes is available below. To let us have your feedback, you can:
- Follow the link below and complete a brief survey by 17 December.
- You can also come along to the in-person drop in event
5.45pm to 7.45pm, Wednesday 13 December at The Inspire Centre, 747 Stockport Road, Levenshulme, Manchester, M19 3AR
- Join the online public meeting – 6.30pm to 7.30pm, Thursday 14 December, please email: email@example.com to receive a link to a Microsoft Teams meeting.