The Council and democracy Making a complaint about a school

If you are making a complaint about a school you must make it directly to the school.  The contact details can be found in the online directory.

Each school will have its own procedure and they will provide you with a copy of this on request. The procedure will tell you who to address the complaint to and when you should expect the response by.

In most cases, complaints should be made in writing to the headteacher. If your complaint is about the headteacher you may write to the Chair of Governors, c/o the school address.

When the school receives a complaint they will investigate it in accordance with their own procedures. However, if you:

  • wish to discuss how to make a complaint before contacting the school; or
  • feel that the school is not following their own procedures, then please contact us:

Corporate Complaints Team
Performance and Intelligence
Chief Executives
Manchester City Council
PO Box 532
Town Hall
M60 2LA
Tel: 0161 234 3012

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.