Health and wellbeing Support for someone with a sensory loss

Early intervention and support can make a significant difference to the impact a sensory loss has on a person’s life.

If you are experiencing sensory loss we strongly recommend you see your GP as soon as possible and contact the Sensory Service to discuss your needs. 

Sensory loss can be defined as one of the following :

Deaf/Hard of Hearing: Where a person has difficulties with their hearing at a severe or profound level, or where a person identifies themselves as Deaf and uses sign language as their preferred method of communication.

Sight Loss: Where a person has sight loss, which cannot be corrected by wearing glasses or contact lenses

Deafblind: A person is deafblind if they have a combined sight and hearing impairment that causes difficulties with communication, access to information and mobility.

The Sensory Service offers a range of sensory loss support to Manchester residents and their carers including:  

  • An assessment of a persons needs caused by a sensory loss.
  • Information about techniques and *aids/equipment to cope with sensory loss.
  • Visual impairment rehabilitation programmes.
  • Mobility training to give a person with a sensory loss the confidence and skills to go out independently.
  • A care needs assessment of social care need (where appropriate).
  • Support to access benefits, welfare rights, debt and housing advice.
  • Information about organisations, support groups, services and concessions.
  • Information about services to support a person with a sensory loss in the workplace.

If you are a Deaf sign language user we have specialist staff who can communicate with you in sign language. 

*Equipment provided by the Sensory Service is loaned free of charge and must be returned if no longer required or you move out of the Manchester area

The Manchester Deaf Centre has relevant advice and guidance. You can find details of other related services and support in the online service directory, Help and Support Manchester.

To refer yourself or someone else to the Sensory Service contact us by:

Phone: 0161 234 5001
SMS Text: 07860 003160
Sign language through: Sign-Video


Manchester City Council Sensory Team
Gorton Hub  1st Floor
27 Garrett Way
M18 8HE

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.