Sunday market & car boot (New Smithfield)
The Sunday Market & Car Boot at New Smithfield Market is open almost every Sunday and includes:
- our covered and outdoor Sunday market for anyone wishing to sell their wares - both new and used
- our outdoor real car boot for householders wishing to sell their unwanted personal goods
- our food market for the sale of fresh produce, and delicious food to eat in or take away
Gates open from 5am and spaces are allocated from 6am. Trading is 7am until 2pm with the last public entry at 1.30pm.
You must pay for your spaces by debit or credit card only. We do not take cash or cheque, so you will not be able to trade if you cannot pay by card.
If you want to sell on our Sunday market or real car boot, there is no need to pre-book casual trading spaces. Just turn up on Sunday and join the queue at the back of the market. Gates open from 5am, and spaces are allocated on a first come, first served basis from 6am (7am for the Real Car Boot).
Daily casual charges are:
- £36 per space for the Sunday market
- £18 for a car on the real car boot
- £24 for a van on the real car boot (prices in effect from 5 January 2020)
Other things you need to know:
- Spaces vary in size, but are roughly 6m deep by 3m selling frontage (20ft x 10ft).
- We only provide a trading space; so remember to bring your own trading equipment, such as table and chair, rails or gazebo, which must fit within your trading space.
- You can unload and remove your vehicle to one of the parking areas on the market, or you can park your vehicle within the confines of your space(s).
There are some restrictions to what you can sell, including the following, although this list is not exhaustive:
- Accident and injury compensation claim services
- All substances known and classed as ‘Legal Highs’ including poppers and laughing gas
- Android / Kodi and all similar TV streaming digi-boxes that can be pre-loaded with third party applications or software that can be used to access pirate or subscription content
- Any live animals
- Anything of a political or racially unacceptable nature, or which could in any way cause offence
- Anything of a pornographic, offensive or morally questionable nature
- Any clothing that represents or promotes gangs, violence, drugs, firearms and ammunition
- Any drugs or anything related to drugs whether pharmaceutical or otherwise
- Counterfeit or fake goods
- Explosive materials including fireworks
- Firearms and ammunition including any that are replica and / or ornamental
- Fur products, accessories and trimmings
- Off-road vehicles
- Swords and knives, including any that are replica and / or ornamental, but excluding kitchen knives
Regular trading at the Sunday market and food market
If you would prefer to guarantee a permanent trading space(s) on the Sunday market or the food market, annual licence agreements are available for a 12-month period from January to December.
The licence fee per space is payable in advance, either annually or in quarterly instalments. There are no daily fees, and the licence fee is payable regardless of whether you stand or not. The annual fee is determined by the stall type:
- Market stall - general: £1500 inc VAT
- Food stall - general: £5400 inc VAT
- Food stall (donuts or similar): £1800 inc VAT
- Ice cream van: £1800 inc VAT
- Specialist operator: Price to be agreed with individual applicants
You will only be able to apply for an annual licence during the application period, which opens in November.
The application period for the annual licences commencing 5 January 2020 is now closed. The next opportunity to apply for an annual licence for the 12-month period from January 2021 will begin in November 2020.