People and communities Your home

Housing for older people

If you're thinking about moving, there's a wide range of housing available all over the city, so there might be something nearby if you don't want to move too far from friends and family.

Some flats or bungalows are for rent and some to buy outright or in shares that suit you. 

There are service charges, if you rent or buy a flat, to pay for maintenance of the building, shared areas and services such as scheme manager call-outs.  Not for profit landlords and private developers have flats and some bungalows available to buy or rent. 


These are usually for people over 50 and include studio apartments and one or two bed flats.  They are all self-contained and some have shared space for social activities.

If you want to rent from a not for profit landlord, you need to apply through Manchester Move.

Homes with support

Retirement or sheltered housing

These will have staff on call in case there is an emergency.  Staff may be on site some or all of the time but can be called if needed, 24 hours a day.  All properties are self contained.  A lot of these arrange social activities and many have shared areas for socialising.  Staff can help if there's an emergency but don't provide personal care.  You can make arrangements for personal care if needed.

Assisted Living or Extra Care

These homes are for people over 55.  Extra care housing allows you to maintain your independence while having access to care if and when you need it. Most have restaurants, cafes or shops that are open to everyone in the area and have shared living or activity rooms for residents.  Everyone has their own front door and plenty of space. 

Find out more about extra care housing

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?