Manchester City Council

Some services unavailable

Between 9.30am and 1.30pm on Sunday 21 October, some online services, including forms, will not be available while we do some maintenance. Sorry for any inconvenience.


Taxis & private hire Surrendering or cancelling a private hire licence

How to surrender or cancel a private hire licence

If you no longer want a vehicle to be a licensed Private Hire Vehicle, please follow these instructions:

  • Take the front and back Private Hire Vehicle Licence Plates, together with the current paper licence to the garage at Lawton Street, Openshaw, Manchester. M11 2NS:
Shared Services Vehicle Workshops
Manchester City Council
Lawton Street
M11 2NS
  • The staff will take the plates off you and stamp the paper licence as ‘cancelled’ and return the paper licence to you for your records.
  • The staff will also tell the Taxi Licensing so that a refund of any fees can be processed for you, if appropriate. If a refund is due, this will be sent to you in the form of a refund against the card you used to pay the fees. If the card has expired a cheque will be raised. Only the fees for the unused tests will be refunded.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?