Manchester City Council

Taxis & private hire Become a licensed hackney carriage or private hire driver in Manchester

Stage 1 - application appointment

All new driver applications must attend an initial appointment with the taxi licensing unit.  At the appointment an officer will review the content of the on-line driver and DBS application forms and the applicant’s immigration status.

Once your application has been submitted and payment made the licensing unit will contact you to arrange an appointment and send information about the *on-line DBS application form.
*The cost of the on-line DBS form is not included in the driver application cost and will need to be paid to CBS (who administer the on-line forms) directly.

The applicant must:-

  • attend the interview in person and bring all the required original documents; and
  • all documents must be valid and where applicable fully completed, signed and dated.

Documents required:  

  1. application form – (completed);
  2. DVLA mandate for release of information (DVLA check);
  3. current DVLA driving licence photo card;
  4. disclosure & barring service (DBS) application
  5. 1 recent colour passport photograph (no sunglasses or hats allowed);
  6. 1 recent utility bill which states the applicants name and address, (for example, gas, electricity, bank or credit card statement), which must not be more than 3 months old;
    Please note: mobile phone statements are not acceptable.
  7. national insurance number showing applicants name issued by a government agency or a previous employer ie P45, P60; 
  8. group II medical certificate (medical form – this can be downloaded/printed and then completed by your own doctor or GP.  Applicants need to make themselves aware of the group II medical standard before submitting an application.  We recommend that you do not obtain your medical certificate until after you have passed your knowledge test 
    lease note: medical certificates are only valid for a 12 month period from the date of submission); and
  9. From 1 December 2016 we must comply with the Immigration Act 2016. 
    The Act places a duty on the council to only issue licences to individuals who can demonstrate that they have the ‘Right to work in the UK within the taxi trade’. 
    Document(s) from either List A or List B, which provides evidence that you have the right to work in the UK within the taxi licensing trade.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?