Homes and property Help and advice services

Help if you have served, or are serving, in the armed forces

If you have served in the armed forces, you may be able to get a higher priority for housing on our general rehousing list if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • you have a specified need to move
  • you need to move because of a serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained while you were serving; or
  • you are the bereaved spouse or civil partner of a member of the armed forces, and you are leaving services accommodation; or
  • you have served in the reserve forces and you need to move because of a serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained while you were serving.

You do not have to be homeless to get this level of priority and you can apply directly through Manchester Move.

If you are homeless, or are likely to become homeless we may be able to give you assistance because of your situation and your vulnerability. If you present as homeless, we will consider the following things, that might affect your vulnerability:

  • how long you were in the armed services
  • if you spent any time in a military hospital
  • if you were released from service because of a medical condition, we may need to see your Medical History Release form
  • if you have had a home since leaving the services and been able to get and keep accommodation since you left
  • how long it is since you left the services.

Before we can consider you for additional support we may ask you to show us:

  • discharge papers
  • Medical Release form

Help with homelessness and general support:

The following organisations can also help if you have served in the armed forces.

Help with mental health:

  • If you are struggling with mental health issues, including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), tell your GP you have served and they will refer you to a specialist veterans service
  • Combat stress

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.