Homes and property Help and advice services

Help if you may not be eligible for assistance

Anyone can ask for help when they are homeless or at risk of losing their accommodation, but we must check if people asking for assistance meet immigration and residence conditions. This is called being ‘eligible for assistance’.

If you are a British or Irish citizen and have lived in the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the last two years you will qualify for help.

If you need to make a homeless application you will need to provide proof of your identity and your entitlement to assistance. These documents would include your passport, immigration papers, notices about benefit claims and proof of employment.

If you don’t meet the conditions, we will only be able to give you general advice and information. You can ask for a review of the decision within 21 days of being notified.

If we decide that you are not eligible and you have dependent children, you will be referred to our Children’s Services for assistance.

Some EU nationals do not meet the eligibility criteria for housing assistance, but may still be entitled to some benefits. You should seek advice about this.

There are a number of agencies who can give you advice and support:

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.