Search room opening hours
The search room opening hours are:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday - 9am to 5pm
- Thursday - 9am to 8pm
- Sunday - closed
To visit, please book at least one working day in advance. We need to receive your request by 9am of the day before you want to visit or by 9am on Friday if you want to visit on a Monday.
Search the library catalogue or GM Lives archive catalogue to find resources you're interested in.
Collections at the Central Library
If what you want is held at the Central Library, make a note of the reference number found either on this site or GM Lives. You can then:
- look at local history books, maps and microfilms on the ground floor of Central Library, no appointment needed
- look at archive materials, rare local history books, rare books and special collections in the search room
- request semi-rare books (marked 'historic stack' in the library catalogue) and national, international and specialist periodicals on microfilm (marked 'MF'). These can be collected in the search room.
- search for published materials using our library catalogue, book an appointment to see items marked search room
- request the review of or enquire about closed records by email to email@example.com.
If you need help looking for specific information, we offer a research service for a small charge.