Benefits and support Help with rent and Council Tax for students

Student loans (including NHS students)

If you are a student who gets Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, we work out your income as if you get the full amount of student loan available to you, even if you do not get it. 

We do ignore:

  • the first £10 a week of your loan 
  • a set amount for books, equipment and travel.

About Council Tax for students (including discounts and exemptions)

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.