Benefits and support Help with rent and Council Tax for students

Evidence we need to see when you claim

As well as a fully filled-in claim form for Council Tax Support and the usual evidence we need to see students must send us:

  • A copy of their student financial support letter.
  • Full details of their course, including term dates and which year you are in.

Students at the University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Bolton, University of Salford, University of Law, Royal Northern College of Music, The Manchester College and BIMM (British and Irish Modern Music Institute) can give us their university ID (student) number instead of a student certificate.

We can accept an e-mail from the university it must include all the information it would usually show on the student certificate.

New claims for help with rent must be made as part of a Universal Credit claim with the DWP.

For Second Adult Rebate claims, we need evidence of your second adult's income. For 'student-only' Second Adult Rebate we also need a student certificate for each student. 

About Council Tax for students. (including discounts and exemptions)

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.