Benefits and support Non-dependants (adults who live with you) may affect your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If you have a lodger or if a carer lives with you


A lodger isn't a non-dependant. They live with you on a commercial basis and we treat their rent as your income, to work out your benefit. You still need to tell us about them.


Someone living at your property to care for you or your partner, employed by a charitable or voluntary organisation and paid by you or by a public body (like the Council) does not count as a non-dependant. We won't make a deduction from your benefit for them.

If you have regular overnight care provided by someone who does not live with you but has use of a separate bedroom when they stay overnight to care for you, we need to know about this to help us decide how much help you can get with your rent.

See more about the spare room rules and overnight carers.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.