Benefits and support Housing Benefit and Universal Credit information for landlords

How we recover Housing Benefit overpayments from landlords

If there has been an overpayment we can:

  • take money from your tenant's ongoing benefit, even if the overpayment happened at another address. The tenant must pay the difference to make up the rent they owe you.
  • take money off other benefit we owe your tenant.
  • take money off your payments for other tenants.
  • send a bill to you or your tenant. For example, we may bill you for an overpayment if you continued to receive benefit after your tenant had moved out.

If you don't agree with a bill we have sent you, contact us straight away.

If you don't agree with our decision to recover an overpayment

You can appeal against our decision to recover an overpayment from you. The letter we send you about the overpayment will tell you how to appeal.

If you don't pay back an overpayment promptly

If you don't pay back an overpayment when we ask you we can take the money from benefit that we were going to pay you for other tenants. We may decide not to make any direct payments to you at all.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.