Apply for a copy certificate
Before you apply, make sure you have the right information.
It's quick and easy to apply for copy certificates online:
- Apply for a copy birth certificate (in the application form, you can choose a full or a short certificate; the fee is the same. For a first British passport, and most other purposes, you'll need a full birth certificate)
- Apply for a copy death certificate
- Apply for a copy marriage certificate
- Apply for a copy civil partnership certificate
Apply by post or in person
If you want to apply by post or in person, you'll need to download an application form and then either post it to or go in person to:
- Central Library for birth certificates before 1918; death certificates and marriage certificates before 1943
- The Register Office in Heron House for birth certificates from 1918 to the present date; death certificates and marriage certificates from 1943 to the present date; civil partnership certificates.
Total cost: £11
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, and £1 postage (including VAT). If applying in person, certificates will normally be available for collection or posted within 5 working days. If applying online or by post we aim to process your application within 5 working days. However, these timescales are not guaranteed and it may take longer during busy periods.
This service is only available for records held at the Manchester Register Office. (Birth certificates from 1918 to the present date; death certificates and marriage certificates from 1943 to the present date; civil partnership certificates.)
Total cost: £21
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, and £11 non-refundable same day service charge per application. Premium service applications must be received by 3.30pm for them to be processed the same day, and the certificate will be available within an hour.
Online or by Post
Total cost: £28.50
This is made up of a £10 certificate cost, £11 non-refundable same-day service charge, and a £7.50 (including VAT) postage charge per application.
The certificates will be posted using Royal Mail's guaranteed next working day delivery, to the UK mainland and for overseas applicants will be sent Royal Mail Airsure or international signed for delivery. Applications must be received by 12 noon for them to be processed the same working day.
How to pay
You can pay by:
- cheque or postal order (made payable to Manchester City Council)
- credit/debit card (required for online purchases)
A VAT receipt will be sent to you, with your certificate, to show VAT paid on postage.