Apply for a copy certificate for an event that has already been registered
Postal delays December 2022
The industrial action affecting Royal Mail this month will mean certificates are likely to be delivered later than usual. All post is affected, including Special Delivery. If you are making a Priority application because you need the certificate urgently, please be aware that you may not receive the certificate the next day.
You can apply for a copy certificate online, or by post. Make sure you have everything you need before you apply.
It's quick and easy to apply for a copy certificate online.
- Apply for a copy birth certificate (in the application form, you can choose a full or a short certificate; the fee is the same. For a first British passport, and most other purposes, you'll need a full birth certificate)
- Apply for a copy death certificate
- Apply for a copy marriage certificate
- Apply for a copy civil partnership certificate
If you want to apply by post, you can download an application form and then either post it to:
- Central Library for birth certificates before 1922; death certificates and marriage certificates before 1947
- The Register Office in Heron House for birth certificates from 1922 to the present date; death certificates and marriage certificates from 1947 to the present date; civil partnership certificates.
Total cost: £11
If applying online or by post we aim to process your application within a maximum of 15 working days, although it may take longer when demand is very high.
Certificates will be posted out second class.
Please do not contact the Register Office, to check where your certificate is, until 4 weeks after you applied.
If you need your certificate for a specific date, that is less than 15 working days away plus an allowance for delivery time, we advise you to use the Priority Service.
For certificates applied for online or by post:
From 17 February a new statutory fee has been introduced for this service, and there are two postage options available. Option 2 is currently only available for records held at the Manchester Register Office. (Birth certificates from 1920 to the present date; death certificates and marriage certificates from 1945 to the present date; civil partnership certificates.)
- Option 1: £35 We will send your certificate within 24 working hours of receiving your application. Applications received after 12 noon will not be processed until the next working day. The certificate will be sent by first class post. (Although Royal Mail normally aim to deliver 93% of first class mail the next working day after posting, they are unable to provide a guaranteed service. For guaranteed next day delivery they recommend Special Delivery Guaranteed - see Option 2)
- Option 2: £42 We will send your certificate within 24 working hours of receiving your application. Applications received after 12 noon will not be processed until the next working day. The certificate will be sent by Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm (currently 4pm) (next working day delivery) to the UK mainland. Royal mail provide a money back guarantee if your item doesn't arrive on time, and end to end tracking and signature on delivery online or via your mobile. For overseas applicants certificates will be sent by Royal Mail International Signed. Royal Mail normally aim to deliver to Europe within 3-5 working days and worldwide within 5-7 working days.
How to pay
You can pay by:
- cheque or postal order (made payable to Manchester City Council)
- credit/debit card (required for online purchases)