Manchester City Council

Social services Getting ready to leave care

If you are a young person leaving care you may want some help moving to living independently and making your own decisions about how you want to live.

We have a responsibility to help you up to the age of 21, or 24 – if we are supporting you in education or training, or if you are disabled.

When you reach 15 ¾ your social worker will work with you to create what we call a ‘pathway plan’. This is a plan of how everyone will work with you towards you becoming fully independent.

When you reach 16 you'll also get a ‘personal advisor’. Their job is to make sure you get the things you need to enter the next stage of your life.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?