Council tax Carer's discount

In some circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of people in a property. If just you and your carer live in your home, you may be able to get a Carer's Discount to reduce your bill by 25%.

The live-in carer must provide care for at least 35 hours a week and they must not be:

  • the partner of the person who is being cared for; or 
  • the child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18.

The person being cared for must normally get one of these benefits:

  • The middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an industrial injury

In certain circumstances when just you and your carer live in your home, you may still be able to get a Carer's Discount (when we don't count your live-in carer) even if the cared-for person doesn't get one of the benefits listed above. The carer must not be your partner or parent. 

After you've applied for a discount

You must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

  • If you get the discount we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. Tell us if your circumstances change in the meantime as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.
  • If you don't get the discount, you can report a problem with your bill
Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.