Council tax £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate

Apply for a discretionary energy payment

If you weren’t eligible for a £150 payment from the Government's core Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme or the Discretionary £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme to support families and vulnerable residents, you may be able to apply for a one off £150 payment from our discretionary fund. 

You can’t receive a payment through this scheme if you received a payment from another council and then moved to Manchester.  

Eligibility criteria 

To apply you must meet one of the following criteria: 

  • You live in a house of multiple occupation (HMO), have your own individual tenancy agreement or licence agreement to occupy only part of the building and are responsible for paying utility bills or a share of the utility bills. 
  • You are a full-time student, living in a student house with other full-time students and the council tax bill is in the name of one or more of the students, not the landlord, even though the bill is for £0.  We will only make one payment for the household, not per student.  
  • You moved into a property with a council tax band of A, B, C or D after 1 April 2022 and so were ineligible for the core Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme and: 
    • You receive Council Tax Support or 
    • You do not have to pay Council Tax because you are classed as Severely Mentally Impaired or 
    • You are under 25 and classed as a care leaver 
  • You moved into a property with a council tax band of E, F, G or H, you or your partner are responsible for paying the council tax and you receive one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit 
    • Income Support 
    • Income related Employment and Support Allowance 
    • Income based Jobseekers Allowance 
    • Working Tax Credit 
    • Child Tax Credit 
    • Pension Credit 
    • Housing Benefit 


Before you start the application process you’ll need: 

  • A copy of your bank statement 
  • Your Council tax reference if you have one 
  • A copy of at least one recent energy bills  - HMO properties only 
  • A copy of your tenancy agreement - HMO and student properties only 

To apply you must be named on the Council Tax bill for your property, except if you live in a house of multiple occupation (HMO).

If you live in a HMO you must be named on a tenancy agreement or licence agreement.    

Other financial support available 

If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for a discretionary council tax energy rebate payment, but you are struggling with the rising costs of energy and food bills, you may be able to apply for one of our Welfare Provision Scheme payments.  

The scheme is means tested and each application must be assessed against strict criteria. 

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.