Since September 2017, we have been replacing the lamp at the top of all the streetlights in Manchester with new LED lights. This programme is expected to take three years.
It’s a big job - 56,000 lamps - but because the new lamps use less electricity there will be two major benefits for the city:
- Cost: once the work is done we’ll save over £2million a year
- The environment: we’ll cut carbon emissions by 7,470 tonnes a year.
Other benefits of LED lamps include:
- They last longer
- They need less maintenance
- The light is focussed on pavements and roads rather than into your home or garden
- They give off a white light which is brighter and clearer. You will be able to see better at night and CCTV cameras will get clearer images.
Many other councils already have these lights. We’ve tried them in a few Manchester streets already and had a positive response.
Amey Highways Lighting (Manchester) Limited – the company who maintain the lights now – will be doing the work for us.