COVID-19 Help with finances affected by COVID-19

Help with your bills or rent

You should apply for Universal Credit if your earnings have changed because of COVID-19 and you are unable to pay your bills or rent. This could be because you work a zero hours contract and have been laid off, or because you are self employed and no longer able to earn enough.

If you already receive Universal Credit, but you're still unable to pay for your rent, you might be eligible for a discretionary payment.

Help with your mortgage

The Government can offer help towards the interest payments on your Mortgage and some other loans, providing you are eligible.

Help paying your Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, you may be eligible for Council Tax Support. You need to apply for this through the normal benefits application process, which will tell you what you are entitled to. 

If you feel as though you are unable to pay your Council Tax, please contact us

If you have no money for food

You can apply for a cash grant of between £30 and £60 if you are in crisis or have an emergency that's out of your control.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.