The Whitworth Street/Princess Street conservation area is uniquely Mancunian in character, its physical form being established by the wealth of fine Victorian and Edwardian buildings erected between 1850 and 1920. They reflect the historical importance of the textile industry in the city.
The conservation area was designated by the City Council in September 1974, and was bounded by Oxford Street, Portland Street, Abingdon Street, Bloom Street, Chorlton Street, Cobourg Street and the Piccadilly to Oxford Road railway viaduct. It was extended in June 1985 to include an area bounded by Whitworth Street, London Road and the above viaduct.
View a map of Whitworth Street/Princess Street conservation area