There are five stages to renew a hackney carriage or private hire licence. As long as you provide the right documents and make payments within our timescales, it should take:
- Stage 1 - application submission. CBS registration: 2 working days;
- Stage 2: application appointment, DBS submitted: 10 working days;
- Stage 3: skills and knowledge tests (not normally required for renewal);
- Stage 4: licence application review; and
- Stage 5: licence issued: 2 working days from licence review1
We’ll email you at each stage to let you know where your application is up to, if you need any documents, and where to get them.
Payments will need to be made at various stages of the process.