All hackney carriage and private hire drivers we license must have a valid, enhanced DBS certificate. You must also register with the DBS Update Service, which allows us to carry out regular checks on the status of your DBS certificate.
Your online registration to the DBS Update Service must be renewed every year directly with the Disclosure Barring Service, at a cost of £13.
You need to remain subscribed to the DBS Update service. If you don’t continue your subscription, you will have to apply for a new DBS certificate and register that with the DBS Update service. This will cost you a further £40. If you don’t, you risk your driver's licence being suspended and reviewed, and ultimately revoked. In addition, you will also have to pay a £38 appointment fee.
If you want to apply for your DBS using a paper application, or if you choose to opt out of the update service, you will need to provide a new DBS certificate at the request of the Council at least every 4 months. You will need to pay for this.
How it works
- Make your new or renewal driver application and payment online
- We will enter your details onto the Complete Background Screening (CBS) Ltd database
- CBS Ltd will email you directly with details of the service and how to pay for and complete the online DBS form. The cost of the application is £49.60 (paid direct to CBS Ltd)
- When the online form has been completed we will send you an appointment email. At the appointment, an officer will check your DBS application, your Identification documentation and if applicable your ‘Right to work in the UK’
- Once we are satisfied that your application and all documents are correct and matching, we will submit your DBS certificate application form to CBS Ltd. CBS Ltd will check the form and submit it to the DBS Agency
- Your DBS certificate will normally be issued within ten working days. You will receive a paper copy in the post, and you must register it with the DBS update service as soon as you receive it. You can only register with the Update Service within 30 days of the date of issue of your DBS certificate.
- We will be notified electronically by CBS Ltd that your DBS certificate has been issued. Then:
If your certificate is clear:
- New drivers will progress to Stage 3 of the application process
- Renewal drivers will progress to Stage 4 of the application process.
If we have any concerns about your DBS certificate we will contact you.
Please do not send your DBS certificate to us, unless we ask you to.
If you want to make a paper application to the DBS, contact us at email@example.com and we will explain this process to you.
How your data is used
Visit the Gov.uk website for information on how your data is used.