Manchester City Council

Bury Union Workhouse (Jericho Institution)

  1. Type

    Workhouse

  2. History

    Bury's first workhouse, also known as the Redvales workhouse, was built in 1775 to the south of the town on Manchester Road. A new workhouse was opened at Jericho in 1857. It was renamed Jericho Institution in 1929. In 1948 it became Fairfield Hospital.

  3. What's available

    The records for this institution are now held at Bury Archives. However transcripts for the admission registers are on findmypast, free access is available at any of our libraries

    Bury Archives holds:

    • Admission and discharge registers 1864 to 1907 (some gaps)
    • Creed registers 1869 to 1934
    • Burial registers 1858 to 1946
    •  

    Records containing medical information of patients are closed for 100 years.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

;