Manchester City Council

Prestwich Union Workhouse

  1. Type

    Workhouse

  2. History

    A new Prestwich Union workhouse was built in c.1868 at Crumpsall. After the combining of Prestwich and Manchester Unions in 1915, it was known as Crumpsall Infirmary Annexe.
    In 1918 it was renamed Delaunay's Road Institution and later became Delaunay's Hospital, which in turn, became part of the North Manchester General Hospital in 1972.

  3. What's available

    Inmates records of the Prestwich Union Workhouse appear not to have survived, although we do hold: Papers of George E T Hill relating to the Prestwich Union Workhouse, Crumpsall, and the Crumpsall Institution and Infirmary, 1872 to 1934 (ref GB127.M252).

    Records of Prestwich Asylum 1851 to 1891 are held by Lancashire Record Office (ref QAM/6). 1891 onwards is held by us (ref GB124.A.PRES).

    The Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society have indexed the admission register for the asylum from 1851 to 1901 this index is on findmypast.

  4. How to access

    Resources marked with GB are available in the search room, please make an appointment.

    Free access to findmypast is available at any of our libraries.

  5. Location of the site

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

;