Manchester City Council

Salford Royal Hospital

  1. Type

    Hospital

  2. History

    The Royal Salford Hospital opened in 1827 as the Salford and Pendleton Dispensary. In 1829 permission was granted from King George IV to rename the Dispensary the Royal Salford and Pendleton Dispensary.
    New premises were built, and were occupied by March 1831. The first in-patients were admitted on 29 March 1845. By this time the dispensary was called a hospital.

    Pendleton Branch Dispensary opened in 1875 and closed in 1923. In 1888 the hospital was called Salford Royal Hospital. It came under the administration of Salford Hospital Management Committee on the establishment of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948.

    In 1974 the Hospital was recognised as an undergraduate teaching hospital. Salford Hospital Management Committee was succeeded by Salford Area Health Authority (Teaching) under the North Western Regional Health Authority, and in turn was succeeded by the Salford District Health Authority (Teaching), and then Salford Health Authority. The Hospital closed in 1993.

  3. Closed in:

    1993

  4. What's available

    We hold records for 1827 to 1989, including:

    • patient records 1927 to 1989 (restricted access)
    • annual reports 1827 to 1947
    • papers relating to the history of hospital 1911 to 1946
    •  

  5. How to access

    Resources are available in the search room, please make an appointment.

  6. Location of the site

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

;