Planning a fireworks party?
Follow the Fireworks Code and keep safe this autumn.
The Fireworks Code
- Fireworks should not be sold to any person under the age of 18
- Attend an organised display
- Buy fireworks marked BS 7114
- Keep fireworks in a closed metal box
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Light them at arm's length using a taper
- Stand well back
- Never go back to a lit firework
- Never put fireworks in your pocket
- Keep a bucket of water nearby if you are setting off fireworks in your garden
- Never throw fireworks
- Keep your pets indoors
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix and may lead to injury
Other Safety Tips
- Buy fireworks from a reputable retailer
- Always supervise children around fireworks
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- Never give sparklers to a child under the age of 5
- Prepare for the party in advance, and in daylight. On the night you will need a torch, a bucket of water, eye protection and gloves, a bucket of soft earth to put fireworks in and suitable supports and launchers if you're setting off Catherine wheels or rockets
- Leave the lighting of fireworks to responsible adults only
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is holding a fireworks amnesty to reduce firework related accidents and keep Greater Manchester safe.
If you would like to safely dispose of your fireworks, call 0800 555 815 and the Fire and Rescue Service will collect them.