Get information about starting up a business using free online resources:
- Ask about business and Business and intellectual property centre - covers business ideas, business planning, market research, trade and business directories, intellectual property advice, free credit checks and technology demonstrator events. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the monthly News and Events updates.
- GOV.UK - provides online guides and tutorials, contracts finder, finance and business support finder, practical steps to setting up a business - registering, licensing, banking, VAT, National Insurance (NI) and employing people. Call 0845 600 9006.
- HMRC online guides and tutorials including "employed or self-employed" assessment.
- StartUp Britain - a national campaign of publicity, events and discounted offers.
- Business is Great - a national campaign aimed at inspiring people to start and grow their business.
Advice and support
Some free advice and support services in our city:
- Business Growth Hub supports people that have the ambition to start a growth business that is likely to turnover £250,000 in the first two years or employ five people in the first three years of trading. Call 0161 359 3050.
- Central Library hosts drop in sessions, business events, patent and IP clinics and is home to the Manchester Inventors Group.
- PeoplePlus delivers the New Enterprise Allowance (NEA) scheme, an eight week start up programme for people on work-related benefits. During the first 26 weeks of trading clients keep their benefits. Call 0161 838 0810.
- The Prince's Trust helps people aged 18 to 30 (unemployed or working less than 16 hours) with workshops, test trading, financial support and a mentor. Call 0800 842 842.
- Business Finance Solutions is the local provider of StartUp Loans UK, a loan and mentor scheme for anyone with well developed business plans. Call 0161 237 4021.
- Manchester Youth Market gives 16 to 30 year olds living/studying/working in our city the chance to try out their business ideas in real-life trading opportunities and to apply for a small grant. Call Stephanie Banks on 0161 234 1513. APPLICATION CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
- Market trading can be a career in its own right but many market traders used it as a first step to running successful businesses online or in their own premises.
- UnLtd offer free advice and grants for social entrepreneurs and enterprises. Call 0845 850 1122.
- Franchising Works gives free advice and support to help people consider franchising and to introduce them to vetted franchise opportunities. Call 0161 4081313
- MiVentures provides online start up and business support for any Manchester resident or business: live chat with qualified business advisors at a time that suits you, download business guides, receive HMRC and Companies House documents directly, search for news and events, join online networks or create your own.