Get information about starting up a business using free online resources:
- Ask about business and Business and Intellectual Property Centre - covers business ideas, business planning, market research, trade and business directories, intellectual property advice, free credit checks and technology demonstrator events. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the monthly News and Events updates.
- GOV.UK - provides online guides and tutorials, contracts finder, finance and business support finder, practical steps to setting up a business - registering, licensing, banking, VAT, National Insurance (NI) and employing people. Call 0845 600 9006.
- HMRC online guides and tutorials including "employed or self-employed" assessment.
- StartUp Britain - a national campaign of publicity, events and discounted offers.
- Business is Great - a national campaign aimed at inspiring people to start and grow their business.
Advice and support
Free advice and support services (part)funded by the Council:
- BIG Ideas Generator - helping people realise their (business) ideas through workshops, networking and 121 support delivered by and in Greater Manchester's main libraries.
- Business Growth Hub supports people that have the ambition to start a growth business that is likely to turnover £250,000 in the first two years or employ five people in the first three years of trading. Call 0161 359 3050.
- Central Library hosts drop in sessions, workshops, demonstrators, patent and IP clinics and is home to the Manchester Inventors Group.
- PeoplePlus delivers the New Enterprise Allowance (NEA) scheme, an twelve week start up programme for people on work-related benefits. During the first 26 weeks of trading clients get access to an allowance that equals their benefits. Call 0161 212 7429.
- Market trading can be a career in its own right but many market traders used it as a first step to running successful businesses online or in their own premises.
- Manchester Youth Market gives 16 to 30 year olds living/studying/working in our city the chance to try out their business ideas in real-life trading opportunities and to apply for a small grant. Call Stephanie Banks on 0161 234 1513.
- MiVentures is an online service that complements the above face to face services. It offers live chat with qualified business advisors at a time that suits you, thousands of guides on key business topics, direct support with registering with HMRC and Companies House, HMRC and ACAS webinars and promotes key local events. You can also join online discussion groups or or create your own network.
Other start up services:
- The Prince's Trust helps people aged 18 to 30 (unemployed or working less than 16 hours) with workshops, test trading, financial support and a mentor. Call 0800 842 842.
- Business Finance Solutions is the local provider of StartUp Loans UK, a loan and mentor scheme for anyone with well developed business plans. Call 0161 237 4021.
- Google Garage provides free online training but also face to face coaching and training in Manchester City Centre.
- UnLtd offer free advice and grants for social entrepreneurs and enterprises. Call 0845 850 1122.
- Franchising Works gives free advice and support to help people consider franchising and to introduce them to vetted franchise opportunities. Call 0161 4081313