Chlamydia is the most common bacterial sexually transmitted infection in the UK.
Around one in ten young people are thought to have chlamydia. Chlamydia often has no obvious symptoms and most people who have this infection don't know it. If it is left undetected and untreated it can lead to long-term health problems such as infertility.
RUClear is the chlamydia screening programme for young people living in Greater Manchester. Doctors recommend that young people should have an annual chlamydia screen and screen more often if they are changing their sexual partners.
RUClear screens are free and painless. You just need to give a sample of urine. Your urine will be tested for chlamydia and another infection called gonorrhoea. These infections can be treated if your test result is positive.
If you are aged 24 or under you can get screened at local services including:
- Brook (19 and under)
- Fresh clinics (24 and under)
- Northern Sexual Health, Contraception and HIV Service (All ages)
You can also get an RUClear screening kit sent to you at home:
- Go to the RUClear website and complete the request form OR
- Text TEST followed by your NAME, AGE and ADDRESS to 84010 OR
- Call RUClear on 0800 0461 303 and ask for a kit to be sent to you
Women and men of all ages can get tested for chlamydia and other sexually transmitted infections at the GUM clinics in Manchester