Audio books and e-books
- Get a digital audio book with BorrowBox
- Get an e-book or digital audio book with Overdrive
- Get ebooks for children
- Sign up for the Royal National Institute of Blind People's (RNIB) free Talking Book by Digital Download service.
Read full digital copies of your favourite magazines for free from your computer, smartphone or tablet. Over 95 magazines are currently available covering everything from food to computers, and music to art. Titles include:
- BBC Good Food
- Amateur Photographer
- BBC Top Gear
- Horrible Histories
Getting started for new customers:
- Go to Zinio
- Create a new account, and enter your library card number. If you are a member of any Greater Manchester Library you can use this service
- Browse the selection
- Checkout your chosen publications to read in your browser or on a range of mobile devices.
- Customers who previously registered to use the Manchester Libraries Zinio website should register with the Greater Manchester Zinio website to get access to a greater coverage of magazines.
Zinio magazines can be read on a wide variety of desktop and mobile apps. The apps are designed for offline reading.
To access the magazines through an app it must first be checked out while you are online through the website. You cannot checkout new titles though the app alone.
Help using Zinio
ComicsPlus is an online streamed service offering a wide range of unabridged Comics and Graphic Novels.
The service offers unlimited simultaneous 24/7 access to over 19,000 titles from 93 publishers, with content to suit all ages including Manga titles.
- Titles have a seven day loan period.
- Titles can be viewed on a Smart TV.
- Streamed service, but with IOS App to enable offline reading on Apple devices
- Android users can currently stream through a browser, but Android App coming later this year.
Go to ComicsPlus
Transparent Language is an online learning package offering 100+ language courses. The package offers over 90 foreign language courses and 25+ courses for English learners delivered in their own first language.
The courses are mainly beginner to intermediate and suit learners through to A level and below. The courses are simple to use and can be sync’d across a number of devices.
- Offers continuous learning with the ability to sync the course to a PC plus 3 to 4 other devices.
- Courses are delivered by native speakers.
- Used on a device when travelling – can be used as a simple phrasebook.