About The Manchester Collection
The Manchester Collection is a series of school board, workhouse, industrial school and prison records held by Manchester Archives. They have been digitised and indexed by Findmypast.
The collection is completely free to use from any Manchester Libraries computer. Access to the index is free from any computer but access to details and images from home is by credit or subscription.
The records comprise:
- Apprentice indentures - 690 names, ranging from 1700-1849
- Cemetery records - around 175,000 names: 1750-1968
- Industrial school admission and discharge registers: almost 6,000 records c1866-1912
- Parish register transcripts - almost 200,000 names dating back to the sixteenth century for Oldham St. Mary and churches in Gorton, Newton and Flixton
- Prison registers - 247,765 records covering 1847-1881
- School admission registers - around 158,000 records c1870-1916
- Workhouse registers - 357,000 admission registers, 280,000 creed registers, 16,000 discharge registers
To find catalogue descriptions for these collections and many more, please search the Pastfinder online catalogue. We also have a list of School Board schools (including records not on the Manchester Collection).