Manchester City Council

Finsbury Park attack

Manchester is sharing its sympathy and our thoughts are with everyone affected by the Finsbury Park attack, especially those who have lost a loved one or been injured and traumatised.

Sign the online book of condolence.

×

Praise for iconic performances and good-natured crowds at this year's Parklife

It may have been wet, but the weather didn’t dampen this year’s Parklife event as more than 160,000 people enjoyed the two-day spectacle.

Highlights for revellers included headline performances from Frank Ocean and The 1975, plus a huge selection of chart toppers and superstar DJs such as George Ezra, London Grammar, Pete Tong and Fatboy Slim.

Immediately after the event finished a full clean-up operation began both within Heaton Park, and the surrounding areas. 

The main priority is to return the whole park to public use as soon as possible. This will start with a litter pick of the park and street cleaning.

A full assessment of the venue area will now (Mon June 12) be co-ordinated by Manchester City Council and specialist organisations to prepare a full work plan as soon as weather and ground conditions allow.

During the weekend residents in the surrounding areas were asked to report any issues, or give feedback, to a dedicated community team. Every caller to the helpline received a response and issues raised were dealt with as promptly as possible. This work is ongoing to ensure that resident comments are acted upon.

Executive Member for Culture and Leisure, Councillor Luthfur Rahman, said: “The event organisers had planned for all weather conditions, including heavy rain. Accordingly, a full clean-up plan has been planned and anticipated, so that there is as little impact as possible on people visiting the park and for people who live here.

"During the event we also encouraged residents to get in touch with us so that we could ensure that any comments or concerns around Parklife are both heard and acted on – so that the event is enjoyable for all concerned.”

After the event some Parklife visitors changed transport plans or walked back to Manchester city centre after a tragic incident at Victoria Station earlier in the evening, which led to tram disruption.

John Fryer, TfGM’s Transport and Event Planning Lead, said: “Much of the weekend went well, with huge crowds of festival goers, all in good spirits, moved quickly in and out of the venue.

“The tragic incident at Victoria last night clearly had a significant impact on the transport plans we had in place to get people home and I’d like to thank the many tens of thousands of people who listened to our advice. The situation was challenging, but they were patient and understanding.

“The behaviour of all those last night and who used public transport to get to and from the event across the weekend was impeccable.”

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

;