Advice if you're having your own bonfire
Be safe, not sorry
Follow these simple rules to keep safe. . .
- Bonfires should be 18 metres from buildings, trees, fences, overhead cables and car parking areas and only clean, dry timber should be burned.
- Bonfires should be no more than 3 metres in height. There should be a suitable barrier around the bonfire to keep spectators 5 metres away.
- Always check that no children or animals are hiding in the bonfire before lighting.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby in case of emergency and to damp down after the event.
- See our specific advice about Fireworks.
Do not burn:
- Foam-filled furniture
- Tins of paint
Use firelighters to light the bonfire, NEVER use:
- White spirit or methylated spirit
Visit the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service website for more information