This consultation closed on 14 October 2022
We would like your input into the reviewed policy on travel support to access education and training. Anyone can comment on this, whether you are a young person, a parent / carer of a young person, a teacher or anyone else with an interest in this area.
Background to the current policy
- Current policy was launched in 2015 and is comprised of a single document which covers 5-16 and Post 16 Home to School Transport
The intention of the policy is that it is:
Based on clear principles:
- Inclusive opportunities i.e Independent travel or family based approaches
- Promoting sustainable, safe, healthy and appropriate travel choice
- Equality of opportunity and celebration of diversity
- Efficient use of public resources - better outcomes; better value for money
- Outlines Parental responsibility and the Councils responsibility.
The key changes are:
- Removes the need for annual reapplication, and places greater emphasis on a review as part of key transition points in a young person’s education
- Attempts to provide greater clarity around grey areas such as exceptional circumstances
- Draws on good practice around use of Passenger Assistants to better support young people
- The Post 16 policy has been separated from the 5-16 years policy to reflect best practice, enabling the Council to be much clearer on post 16 travel solutions, whilst introducing a clearer transition from 5-16 to post 16 travel.
- Introduces a wider range of travel solutions which will be offered by the Council moving forward, including walking buses, bicycles etc.
The proposed timeline is:
- Children and young people at key transition points will be assessed under the new policy for the 2023/24 academic year (reception year 7 and year 12 and 14).
- Any new applicants will be assessed under the new policy from the 2022/23 academic year at the point the policies are determined/agreed.
- All other children and young people will only be reassessed when the Council is notified of a change in circumstance, or they reach a transition point.
We want to hear what you have to say about these proposals.
We have extended the consultation to 14 October 2022.