This consultation closed on Friday 6 January
We have started to develop a strategy for the future of Gorton District Centre. As part of this work, we would like to ask you what you think about the centre and what you think about some of our emerging ideas.
We would like your feedback on the objectives for the centre, the opportunities and some potential areas of change. We will use your comments to inform our next stages of work as we develop and implement the strategy.
Gorton District Centre provides a valuable focal point for communities in and around Gorton and Belle Vue. Our aspiration is to ensure this potential is maximised by;
- Creating a more attractive environment that is more comfortable to spend time in - some parts of the existing centre are unwelcoming for pedestrians
- Extending periods of activity, so that people use the centre more in the evenings and at weekends - the existing centre tends to feel ‘closed down’ in the evenings apart from Tesco
- Encouraging more diversity - a broader mix of uses that appeal to different communities and age groups - the existing centre is generally limited to shops and the gymnastics centre
- Making the centre more easily accessible by walking and cycling - there is currently a high level of car use, and some existing footpaths and roads don’t feel safe to use
- Make the centre greener - there are some great parks and green spaces locally, but the centre itself lacks good quality green space and there is potential for more trees
- Create a new heart of the community, delivering a new civic square and public realm
- Deliver new mixed tenures homes to match local housing demand (including affordable housing such as Social Rent and Shared Ownership)