Environmental problems Food labelling legislation changes

Calorie labelling legislation coming into force on 6 April 2022

From 6 April 2022, certain food businesses are required to display calorie information for non-prepacked food and soft drink items which they sell. The new legislation is called The Calorie Labelling (Out of Home Sector) (England) Regulations 2021

The out of home sector is generally considered to be any outlet where food or drink is prepared for immediate consumption, on or off the premises. Examples include restaurants, cafes and takeaways.

Businesses in scope:

  • Any large business (employing 250 or more employees)
  • Third party delivery platforms

Food and drink in scope of the regulations includes items:

  • Offered for sale in a form which is suitable for immediate consumption (either on or off the premises) with no further preparation.

The requirement is to display the following information:

  • The calorie content of the food in kilocalories (kcal).
  • Reference the size of the portion to which the calorie information relates to e.g. per meal or per item.
  • Statement of daily calorie needs i.e. Adults need around 2000 kcal a day.


  • Alcoholic drinks more than 1.2% ABV
  • Items on sale for less than 30 days
  • Pre-packed food items

Read further guidance from gov.uk

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.