Environmental problems Water

No water

You may have no water because of a burst main, water leak, frozen pipes or simply because somebody has turned off the stop tap.

What you can do

If you are an owner-occupier it is your responsibility to fix the problem and you should contact a registered contractor. Find your local approved plumber.
If you are a tenant, your landlord is responsible for fixing the problem. Contact them to agree when the work can be carried out. Give them the opportunity to resolve the problem before contacting us. If you're having problems dealing with your landlord over this issue, then follow these steps. 

Common water pipe
Many older properties, particularly terraced houses, are served by a common supply pipe. This pipe provides water to a number of houses from one single connection to the water main.

United Utilities are responsible for the supply pipe from the connection to the water main up to the point at which the supply pipe leaves the boundary of the public highway. The maintenance responsibility for the remainder of the supply pipe sits with the property owners.

United Utilities will investigate and if the problem is within a particular property you will be referred to us.  We will investigate, identify the owner and, if necessary, take rapid enforcement action to restore the water supply. We will can carry out the necessary works and charge the owner of the relevant property. 

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.