Homes and property Electricity problems in your home

No lights or power

There could be a number of reasons why you have no lighting or power in your home. 

What you can do:

  • check if the lights in the street or any neighbours have been affected - Electricity North West (0800 195 4141) will confirm if there has been a power cut in your area
  • check that the bill has been paid, or - if you have a prepayment meter - check you have sufficient credit
  • check if it's just the lights or the sockets, or if both are affected. If it is one or the other the problem will be confined to your home, and it's likely that a fuse has blown. Check the fuse board; you may find that one of them has 'tripped out'.

If the problem is not one of these temporary issues:

If you're an owner-occupier you'll need to contact a NICEIC or similar registered contractor yourself.

If you rent your home, your landlord is responsible for fixing it. Contact them first to let them know and agree when the work can be carried out. Give them the opportunity to sort it out before contacting us.  Private landlords in England are now required to carry out 5 yearly electrical installation checks by a competent person to ensure they are safe, and provide copies to their tenants.  If you're having problems dealing with your landlord follow these steps.

Advice for tenants and landlords:

The registered charity, Electrical Safety First, have written a guide for tenants and a guide for landlords.

If you are a landlord and need to notify us about electrical safety issues in your rented property please email us at

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.