Homes and property Heating and hot water

What to do

If your heating and/or hot water have broken down there may be a problem with the gas or electricity supply. Many appliances will not work during a power failure, even if they run off gas.

It is essential that your property has adequate means of heating. There should be fixed heating in all areas of the property including the bathroom and kitchen to ensure a healthy temperature. The heating should be efficient and controllable.

What you can do:

If you're:

  • an owner-occupier it is your responsibility to fix the problem and you should contact a registered contractor.
  • a tenant your landlord is responsible for fixing the problem, contact your landlord first to inform them and agree when the work can be carried out, give them the opportunity to resolve the problem before contacting us.  If you're having problems dealing with your landlord follow these steps.

External link:

  • The Energy Savings Trust have independent and impartial advice which can help you lower emissions and cut energy bill costs.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.