You should do what you can now to prepare for a flood, especially if you live in a flood risk area. Don't wait until a flood happens, you may not have time.
- You can check the flood risk for your area and make sure you know how to protect your property against flooding.
- You can sign up for flood warnings in your area and stay up to date with Met Office weather reports.
- Check your home insurance policy and ensure you're covered for flooding. You can get advice about flooding insurance from the National Flood Forum and Flood insurance Checker.
- Find out where and how to turn off your gas, electricity and water supplies.
- Make a list of important information and telephone numbers, including your GP, your insurance company's emergency phone line, your insurance policy number and the names of any prescriptions or medication you have.
- Make a personal flood plan.
- Prepare an emergency bag, in case you need to leave your home in a hurry. Store it upstairs and include items such as essential documents, phone chargers, a change of clothes, non-perishable food, water, torch, glasses and cash. If you have a baby, also include nappies and baby food.