Environmental problems Before a flood

Problems with drainage on private property

View the United Utilities blocked drain guidance.

If your think that flooding to your property is being caused by a public sewer then responsibility lies with United Utilities. Use the United Utilities sewers and drains explained, to find out whether a sewer or drain is public or private. We have certain powers to force owners to deal with drainage issues on privately owned land.

If the flood is not caused by a public sewer and is thought to be a surface water issue which is sourced on your property, then it is your responsibility to resolve this and ensure that the flood waters do not pass into adjacent land. 

If the flood is caused by a surface water issue from a neighbouring property and flowing onto your property, then this is a civil matter and should be resolved between the concerning landowners. 

If you are a tenant, contact your landlord or Housing Association who is responsible for fixing the problem. Contact them first to inform them and agree when the work can be carried out, give them the opportunity to resolve the problem before contacting us.

 Read more about responsibility for home and property repairs.

If you are having problems dealing with your landlord Housing Association over this issue, then follow these steps.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.