Any UK resident who is 16 or over can apply for a home by registering with Manchester Move. This is an online service that lets you look for a home from not-for-profit landlords.
Most of the landlords won't consider you for a home until you are 18 years old unless there are special circumstances.
Who is eligible
Anyone can apply for a home, unless:
- they are subject to immigration control and do not have refugee status or exceptional leave to remain, or have been in the UK more than five years and their former sponsor is no longer living
- they do not normally live in the European common travel area
- they are a European Union national and are required to leave the UK by the government
Anyone who is classed as ineligible will get a full written explanation, and have a right to a review of the decision.
People who do not qualify
Even if you are eligible for rehousing, you may not qualify if you have been guilty of serious unacceptable behaviour and have not shown that you will be a good tenant in the future.
- those with rent arrears over a certain amount
- people who have a possession order against them
- those guilty of antisocial behaviour
- people with an unspent conviction for a serious offence.
Those who are ineligible because of unacceptable behaviour can apply in the future if they can show us that they have changed that behaviour.
Our rehousing rules
These rules cover all homes in the city that are available through our rehousing policy.
Although we don't manage many homes anymore, our rehousing rules are used for around 70 per cent of homes from not-for-profit landlords in the city.
If you think you are eligible, find out more about rehousing in Manchester.