Manchester’s Lord Mayor
Councillor Naeem ul Hassan JP
Councillor Naeem ul Hassan was born in Lahore, Pakistan and moved to Manchester in 1984.
Councillor Hassan is proud of his diverse working background in many different vocations including driving taxis, security, hospitality management, a Race Officer and then a Community Liaison Officer for the GMB Trade Union for the Lancashire region. He began working life as a factory worker, before returning to further his education at MANCAT College. He completed a BTEC in Engineering and an ‘A’ Level in Information Technology and this led him to gain employment as an instructor and internal NVQ assessor.
Councillor Hassan has always had a keen interest in justice, and this led him to train as a Magistrate on the Manchester Bench. He became involved in politics as he wanted to make a positive impact on policies that in turn would improve services for the residents and people of Manchester.
Councillor Hassan was elected as a Labour Councillor for the Cheetham Ward of Manchester in 2006 and since then he has served on several Council Committees including: the Citizenship and Inclusion, Finance and General Purposes and Health and Well-being Scrutiny Committees; and the Constitutional and Nomination and Licensing and Appeals Committees. He has also held the position of Assistant Executive Member for Adult Services.
- In addition to being a Councillor and a Magistrate, he also serves the community as:
- Secretary General of the Asian Community Development Trust
- Executive Member of the Manchester Mega Mela
- National Executive Member Muslim for Labour
- Deputy Chair of the Abraham Moss High School Governing Body
- Board Member of Northwards Housing
- Representative on the Pennine Acute Joint Scrutiny Committee
- Director of First Asian Support Trust (FAST) a Welfare to Work organisation providing employment and Training to Disabled people
- Advisory member on various other boards
He now hopes to continue delivering to his community and the residents of Manchester as Lord Mayor for 2013/14.
Councillor Naeem ul Hassan and his wife Zulleh Huma Hassan have been happily married for 28 years and have five children Sumera, Saima, Anna, Naveed and Sahil. He is proud to have brought up and educated his children in the local Community. His wife and children are now working as professionals in the Education, Medical, Legal and Finance sectors.
The Lord Mayor welcomes invitations to attend appropriate community and other events. Invitations should be addressed to: email@example.com
Please note that unless there are special circumstances, two weeks notice of an event is required.