Manchester City Council

Planning & regeneration Article 4 Direction: changing the use of your property

Changing the use of your property

We have introduced an ‘Article 4 Direction’ in Manchester which means that you need to apply for planning permission if you want to change the use of your property from a house which falls within what is called the C3 Use Class (generally a property lived in by a family) to the C4 Use Class (generally a group of between three and six unrelated people sharing).  The Direction came into force on 8 October 2011.

The Article 4 report makes and confirms the Article 4 Direction, the confirmed Direction and the statutory notices for Direction.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?